Lettings Direct - Letting Agents, Property Management Specialists and Buy to Let Experts.
Renting in Portsmouth City Centre is extremely popular with working professionals due to its ideal location.
Search properties to rent in Portsmouth City Centre now.
Most of the city of Portsmouth lies on Portsea Island, located where the Solent joins the English Channel. This makes Portsmouth the United Kingdom's only island city and the thirteenth most densely populated place in Europe. It is the second most densely populated place in the UK, after Inner London. The island is separated from the mainland to the north by a narrow creek, bridged in places to make it a peninsula in appearance. The sheltered Portsmouth Harbour lies to the west of the island and the large tidal bay of Langstone Harbour is to the east.
The City Centre is the main shopping area in Portsmouth, mainly sited around the shopping streets Commercial Road, Edinburgh Road, Arundel Street, Crasswell Street and Charlotte Street. The City Centre is home to the Cascades Shopping Centre and major high street stores including Debenhams, Wilkinson, Primark, H&M and supermarkets Tesco, Sainsburys and Iceland. To the north of the City Centre is the Victory Retail Park.
Pubs, Bars & Clubs - As with any major City, there is always a very wide choice of Bars & Clubs and Portsmouth is no exception.
Restaurants - Portsmouth doesn't have a shortage of restaurants in the City Centre and certainly a wide selection of cuisines -probably the most popular area for eating is Gunwharf Quays, where there is a wide selection of restaurants.
Having a very strong maritime history, Portsmouth has more than its fair share of places of interest, ranging from the Historic Dockyard to the Blue Reef Aquarium, but the following are worth a look:
• Portsmouth Museum - Located in Old Portsmouth
• Charles Dickens birth place - Located in Mile End Road
• D Day Museum
• Spiniker Tower
Notable people who either hail from Portsmouth or who have lived in the city include:
• Sir Isambard Kingdom Brunel - Famous Engineer of the Industrial Revolution
• Charles Dickens - author
• Arthur Conan Doyle - author of the Sherlock Holmes Novels
• Rudyard Kipling - author of the Jungle Book
• James Callaghan - (Prime Minister 1976–1979)
• Peter Sellers - comedian & actor
• Roger Hodgson - singer (Supertramp)
• Joe Jackson - musician & singer
• Arnold Schwarzenegger
• Helen Duncan - the last woman imprisoned under the 1735 Witchcraft Act in the UK!